Old Stone Houses

Clogher Cross

Clogher Cross

This unusual 9th century cross is found in the graveyard of the cathedral of St. Macartan which stands at the crest of Clogher’s main street. The cathedral was originally built in the 5th century and later rebuilt in 1744. St. Macartan cathedral was the center of the oldest bishopric in Ireland until it was moved to the larger town of Enniskillen in Co. Fermanagh. Next to the school, behind the cathedral, stands the Iron Age fort that was once the seat of the Kings of Oriel, a powerful local tribe. From it there is a clear view of Brackenridge’

Back to top button